Dinner at Venecia

The wine tasting has taken three hours. Three of the most memorable hours on this vacation. We return to the room. Now, I’m not sure how the timing could have worked on this, but these pictures showed up in my photos for that day. And they are kind of cool, so maybe we had time for some jacuzzi when we got back?

DSCN5132DSCN5134

There’s nothing indecent here, but feel free to zoom in and check, since I know that has not always been the case.

DSCN5144

If we did in fact have some jacuzzi time, it could not have been for long, because we had dinner reservations at the Italian restaurant.

DSCN5149

At some point we caught this sunset.

DSCN5150

After all the wine we have had this afternoon, and really good wine at that, we pass on a bottle at dinner. I know the included wines are just not going to begin to compare. We each get a glass of wine.

We begin with some salads, which are both decent.

DSCN5151DSCN5152

I have pasta, which is not good. It is heavy and doughy and the sauce is just a lot of butter.

DSCN5155

Zung gets the shrimp speidini, which he always likes. I really should try this sometime.

DSCN5156

Zung scored for dessert too. He loves the fresh fruit, and you can’t really go wrong there this time of year.

DSCN5157

I got the Zabaone, which I’ve had before and really enjoyed. Not this time. It was gritty with sugar, like they didn’t mix it thoroughly, and it was too sweet and I just don’t eat it. I have had enough bad food for one evening. Only my salad was decent.

DSCN5158

DSCN5153

There is a table near us that is beautifully decorated with rose petals and hearts and swan napkins. Luis, the sommelier, comes over to it several times and fusses over it. There is no one there while we are there, so we never do get to see who got this special treatment.

We decide to skip the lobby bar since Daniel is not there tonight. We head back to the room. There are two bottles of champagne there that we still have not drunk. Drank? We haven’t done either. They have delivered  tuxedo strawberries.

DSCN5160.JPG

Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries sounds good, especially after my dessert fail. I go in search of ice to chill the champagne, but the ice machine is not where it usually is. The butler sees me and when I ask him where the ice machine is he says he will bring me the ice. He brings it quickly and we chill the champagne and eat the strawberries. It is a lovely way to end a lovely day.

This entry was posted in Food/Menu Items, Restaurant, The Grand. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Dinner at Venecia

1. Jack says:

Hello Andrea. Do you ever find yourself disappointed in the consistency of the food ? Your comments above about your dinner and dessert leads me to the question. You have been to the Grand many times , so, has the overall quality and consistency gone up or down ? Thx… 🌴🍷

• shoediva50 says:

There is a lot of inconsistency in the food. And it varies not only trip to trip, but restaurant to restaurant. I have not had a bad rib eye at Toni’s yet! But, I do wish they would step up their food game, and try to make it consistently good. The Italian used to have a really good sea bass dish, but it’s no longer on the menu. I have to say, since then, they almost always really overcook any fish dish.

2. Nik says:

The shrimp looks good, I will have to try and remember to order it next trip. I had a nice filet at the Italian last time smother in melted provolone, I didn’t particularly care for the sauce they served it with though.

3. shoediva50 says:

I’ve had that filet. Don’t love the cheese on it. Love the shrimp and lobster risotto there.

• Nik says:

I liked the cheese. Love the shrimp and lobster risotto. I also like the lasagna with the spicy sauce from the mussels added to it, also love the mussels. I’ve been trying to venture out and try different things at some of the restaurants on recent trips.

4. Anna Maria says:

Wow! First I must say you look beautiful in that dress!!! And the shoes! Wow. I drank too much yesterday. Too much wine tasting and liquor. I could not drink wine at all last night. I showed up at Italian to eat and my reservations were at the French restaurant. All of that aside, you look wonderful and this place is amazing!!!! I love it here!!! I am so glad I discovered this blog. And you really look wonderful.

5. Jack says: