Eating, Drinking and More Drinking in Playa

Heads up, this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission.

Hallelujah! My computer is healed! Thanks be to the computer geeks at Boulder MacRepair. They fixed it for a mere $180. A veritable bargain compared to the $750 that Apple wanted because the only repair they would make was replacing the motherboard. My Apple worship just went down a notch.

I am back in business, so read on.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that when we went back to our room to get ready for our foray into Playa, the power was out in our room, except for the TV (which seemed odd). We called the butler who said he would send someone. That took a while and we needed to get ready. Showering in the dark would be challenging, but putting on makeup in the dark would be impossible. Zung flagged down a worker dude in the hall and he flipped a switch in the closet and we were all good again. This happened again during our stay and Zung found the switch himself the next time. We then we figured it was happening because of where we were plugging in the iron  and we moved it and it didn’t happen after that.

Victor dropped us off at the Lobby and told the Bell Boy to call us a taxi. They told us to go inside while we waited for the taxi. We only had to wait a few minutes and then we were on our way. We asked the taxi driver to take us to Carboncitas (I gave him the cross streets) in Playa. It was about a 25 minute/$25 (incl tip) ride. There are some who say you shouldn’t tip taxi drivers because it is not the local custom, but it just doesn’t feel right to me, so I tip them. I probably overtipped this guy, but hopefully that made his day a little better.

The taxi driver left us at a corner and pointed down the street and said Carboncitas was there.I was a tad nervous that I couldn’t actually see the restaurant from where he dropped us off, but he was correct. There it was. Walking towards it from the opposite direction was Steve and his new dog, Eddie.

Conboncita’s was empty. We sat at a table right out front.

First we ordered drinks. I wanted a Havana and coke, but they had no Havana. Really? That made me sad. I think I ended up with a Bacardi Solera and coke. Not a bad substitute, but I can get Bacardi at home. Solera is definitely better than regular Bacardi, which makes me kind of gag.

Zung ordered the Shrimp Brochette. It didn’t look like any brochette I’ve ever seen before. Zung said it was good though.

I ordered steak something. Calling it steak seemed to be stretching it, but it was tasty.

Before our mains came out they brought us complementary chips and salsa’s. I know the pumpkin seed salsa gets rave reviews but I preferred the avocado salsa.

It was a good, but not great, meal. I can hear a collective gasp among its fan club. Sorry, I call it like I see it. Maybe it had just been built up too much, but while it was a decent meal, I couldn’t see what all the fuss was about.

We had a good visit with Steve. He tried to tell us that Eddie was a rambunctious dog, but he was the most mellow dog I’ve ever seen. He just laid there the whole time. The only noise he made was when s guy approached us in a wheelchair. Eddie jumped up and growled and barked at him. Needless to say, he didn’t stay long. I told Steve I thought he was grossly exaggerating Eddie’s behavior. He said, “I think he must be sick. He’s never like this.”

It was almost 4:30, which is when we were meeting Margaret and Gordon. Steve walked us to Fusion and we said good-bye. Margaret and Gordon were already there. It was so great to see them again.

I got a cucumber drink of some kind, but it didn’t hold a candle to Daniel’s cuke mo.

Mags and Gordon were staying at the Barcelo complex, but they were not thrilled. They have stayed at a LOT of different hotels in the area. I bet they could write a decent guide-book based on the hotels they have visited alone. They now live in Florida and get to go to the beach every day. So lucky.

We chatted until the band started up. They were not bad, but I just don’t hear well with that kind of background noise.

We walked down the beach, looking for another place to get another drink.

These were some of the sites we saw.

We stopped at some bar along the way, the name of which escapes me now, and sat down. It was Happy Hour, so Margaret and I ordered a drink called a Ticket to Fly. It had Tequila, Rum, Triple Sec and Vodka in it. They were the largest drinks I’ve ever seen.

I drank maybe an inch of it and could feel the effects of the alcohol already. I have no idea how someone could drink two of these. The name was very appropriate because you’d be flying for sure after drinking one of these.

Alas, we couldn’t finish them before we had to get back to the Grand for our dinner reservations. We walked to the taxi stand at the start of 5th and said goodbye before getting into our respective taxi’s. Hopefully it won’t be another 5 years before we see them again.

That was the first time I’ve been on 5th Ave at night. I can’t say I love how aggressive the vendors are, but it looked like the could definitely be some fun to be had. Maybe Karen and I will check out the nighttime vibe when we are there next month.

It didn’t seem like we had done THAT much, but I was exhausted! We still had dinner at Toni’s Surf and Turf to look forward to back at the Grand.


Leave a Reply

Close Menu
%d bloggers like this: